Still been waiting for some parts, so knocked up a new brake rod (out of brass of course) and adjusted my rear brakes up.
Saturday, 23 June 2012
Saturday, 16 June 2012
Waiting on a few parts before I can do much more:
- Thrust washers on order so I can complete the engine re-build
- Springer front end on order so I can finish the front end
- Front wheel bearings on order so I can finish the front wheel re-build
Decided to do a couple of small jobs:
- Fitted a Gorilla alarm
- Fitted up the kickstand (found some black hose...MADE IN USA)
Saturday, 9 June 2012
|Way too shiny|
I am trying to have no chrome showing on my bike and a few guys on the XL Forum suggsted the following ways to get rid of chrome:
1. Take the parts to a chrome plating company and they'll strip them in the chroming bath by reversing the polarity.
2. Leave it parked in the hood overnite...
3. Donate it to the poorest guy on the forum...
4. Use salt spray on the chrome
5. Scotchbrite pad over the whole thing and the paint
I have been using the following process and it has worked well so far on a lot chrome items, such as bolts, caps, brackets:
Step 1 - Buff with a Scotchbrite pad (medium) as this get rids of the shine and creates a profile
Step 2 - Clean with some metho
Step 3 - Paint with an etch primer (3 light coats...1 hour in between coats)
Step 4 - Paint with satin black acrylic (3 light coats...10-15 minutes between coats)
|Etch Primer Coat|
I am going to add a short piece of black hydraulic hose over the bottom of the leg to protect the paint when the kickstand is down and also my frame when the kickstand is up.
Friday, 8 June 2012
Tuesday, 5 June 2012
Monday, 4 June 2012
Sunday, 3 June 2012
Was trying to change out the front wheel bearings and the outer races were stuck hard. Couldn't tap them out from the back and didn't have a suitable puller.